Why YabaTech Graduate Committed Suicide Two Weeks To His NYSC

A graduate of Yaba College of Technology identified as Oluwamuyiwa Oluwagbemileke, popularly known as Spartacus was reported to have ended his life by commiting suicide.

The 27-year-old graduate who studied Electrical engineering was reported to have consumed poison on Wednesday after he was blamed for damaging a car in a sachet water factory located in Ojodu Berger, Lagos, where he worked.

According to news source, the vehicle which the deceased was accused to have damaged, belonging to the factory, was damaged in an attempt of the deceased to help the owner re-park it.

The deceased before his death was reported to have been in despair as he struggled to raise the sum of N50,000 for the repair of the damaged car.

Speaking on his death, the sister of the deceased who has since been buried on Saturday at the Atan Cemetery in Yaba, Lagos said: “I passed out when I was told he poisoned himself. His neighbours said they received a message from him, saying he wanted to poison himself, but they did not take him seriously.

“His girlfriend said he was gasping when she called him around 11pm. Our mother said he typed the suicide note on his phone in her presence but she did not know the content because she has no formal education.

“I was surprised Muyiwa (Oluwagbemileke) could not wait to be celebrated. He struggled all through, but he never waited to reap the fruits of his labour. He worked as a carrier to survive.

“Our father died a long time ago. He was going for NYSC on November 21. He was the only graduate in our family. When I went to the factory, I was told that a laptop had fallen from his hands and damaged three days before he damaged the car.

“They must have chided him, which is normal, although his boss denied it. He was collecting over N50,000 monthly at the factory and a gym there. While he was living with me, if he spoilt something and I scolded him, he would abscond from home for three days and sleep in schools.

“At times, I would know he was the one who damaged an item, but I would still ask him. Instead of him to talk, he would just walk away from home. I would beg people to talk to him before he would return home.”