The Head Of Recruitment of West Ham United, London, has been sacked over claims which held that he said the club would not sign any more African players.
The sack comes following a report which was submitted by Daily Mail wherein Tony Henry was quoted to have stated that African players “cause mayhem” when they are not in the team.
The club in reaction to the comment noted that it is “unacceptable”, doesn’t mirror the stand of the football club and added that a “full and thorough investigation” had been conducted into the situation.
The club further added: “West Ham United will not tolerate any type of discrimination.”
Recall that the Hammers manager, David Moyes, had on Friday stated that Henry had recommended two players from the African continent during the January transfer window.
The Scot however maintained that the club was “very, very close” to signing Leicester’s Algeria forward Islam Slimani, who joined Newcastle on loan, and Lille’s Cameroon defender Ibrahim Amadou.
Moyes, when asked about the comments made by the now former recruitment chief said:”It’s a massive shock, because you are well aware of the couple of players we were trying to sign on deadline day, so that’s why it’s a big surprise.
“I’ve known Tony and he has to get on with his stuff but all I can say is that it wasn’t correct because we were trying to sign two players like that on deadline day.”
When asked if Henry had recommended Slimani and Amadou, Moyes added: “Yes. They were two players who were slightly available, albeit who came up late.”