The BBC, is the leading international broadcaster in Africa reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million on Radio, TV, Digital (language sites and bbcafrica.com), Mobile and Social Media. We broadcast to Africa in English, Hausa, Somali, French, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili & Arabic. We are committed to broadcasting to and from the continent in a style that meets the demands of our growing audience and as well as our language services, our presence in the region is also defined by our bureaux, special correspondents and bilingual reporters.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Support Engineer – Lagos Hub
Job Reference: BBC/TP/672269/22523
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Business Unit News: W2020
Job Category : Information Technology
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
- It is an exciting time to join the BBC as it expands services to Nigeria as part of the World 2020 project
- We are currently recruiting for a Technical Support Engineer to join our Lagos hub.
- You will provide a professional technical support service to our Lagos operations, spanning a variety of technologies, and within a service management culture.
- You are expected to have an excellent command of English, as well as technical knowledge across a variety of disciplines.
- You will be expected to have a thorough knowledge of broadcast engineering and/or operations.
- You will also be required to provide first line support, being guided by Engineering Operations in the UK, for the Bureaux IT infrastructure that consists mainly of a secure Windows based client/server topology.
- This enterprise-wide desktop is governed by the BBC in the UK with its technical partners. The bureau also uses locally, Apple-based products and some Linux-based products.
The main duties of this role are as below:
- To ensure that technical incidents are fixed as expeditiously and efficiently as possible. To co-ordinate effectively with local/regional staff, and with Technology teams across BBC to maximize efficiency.
- To provide a first-line engineering support service working with the BBC’s support bodies in the UK to the BBC Lagos Bureau. This will consist of a first line analysis of the problem, executing a fix where possible or more likely, taking responsibility for co-ordinating with the UK support bodies, a fix.
- To provide on-site support for services delivered to the BBC Lagos Bureau operations by the BBC’s technology partners, including AtoS.
- To provide a point of co-ordination, contact and knowledge for local technical providers to the Lagos Bureau e.g. telecommunications and internet suppliers, power and building infrastructure and air conditioning maintenance suppliers.
- To keep a record of faults and their fixes and to work with the BBC’s Engineering Operations Support department to monitor trends and ensure service levels are adhered to.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following:
- Fluent spoken and written English; excellent communications skills and ability to manage remote communication effectively, as well as experience of producing accurate and concise documentation and communications.
- A good working knowledge of the technology in use at BBC and a commitment to technological excellence in support of the business need.
- An up-to-date knowledge of all relevant technologies, including camera, sound and studio equipment and practices, RF & satellite communications, digital broadcasting production techniques including audio/video capture and distribution and IP networks,
- An appreciation of broadcast industry standards including video and audio encoding.
- Excellent organizational skills. Experience of prioritizing own workload, the ability to self-manage under pressure to produce accurate work and meet deadlines.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely so that it easily understood by a variety of audiences.
- Ability to understand and interpret data accurately and effectively.
- Consistently pays attention to detail.
Application Closing Date
18th July, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online